Nick and Lulu Wonderland (News Stand)

This site provide news items for "The Guardian" about the televison drama series. Please let me know if you share my enthusiasm or enjoy my site!

My Photo
Name:

This web page is about Nick & Lulu in "The Guardian" for fans. This is a site devoted to our favorite TV couple, Nick Fallin and Lulu Archer.

Monday, February 06, 2006

The Perfect Match

From:Washington post
Date:February 3, 2006

College Park, Md.: Welcome, Simon. My mom and I were big fans of "The Guardian" and loved what you and the cast achieved with the series. I've also been following your work on the big screen and can't wait to see your latest film. What attracted you to this role? Also, how has the press tour been going for you so far? It's great to see you making the rounds. Cheers!

Simon Baker: The first thing that attracted me immediately was that I'd never been involved in a romantic comedy before. I liked the script. I thought it was nicely put together and a good point of view. A refreshing point of view.

It's pleasure and pain all wrapped up in one. (The tour) It's nice to get and have attention but after a while it's a little bit too much. I find myself trying to curl up in a ball in the corner and rejuvenate myself. But overall, this has been a pleasurable experience because I feel very proud to be a part of the movie.

Vienna, Va.: Hi Simon -- I was lucky enough to catch a preview of the movie in D.C., and I LOVED it!(you make the perfect boyfriend!)

Do you prefer doing films or TV -- and why?

Simon Baker: At this point I prefer working on films for the finite value of what it represents. You can pace yourself and focus more on hitting the different notes that need to be hit. Sometimes it does feel, the pace of it, the work feels a little slow compared to television but you have a clearer structured framework with film, the three-act structure. Whereas television is pretty much ongoing and you're just constantly weaving in and out of the storyline. But I do like the working pace of television. It's fast and furious and you have to think on your feet.

_______________________

Chicago, Ill.: There must be something in that water 'Down Under' because you Aussie/New Zealand actors are hot, and I'm not just talking about your talent. I first took notice of you in a little film with Adrien Brody called 'Restaurant' which also dealt with the issue of interracial dating. Although it was a drama and 'Something New' is a rom-com, do you think the films send similar messages about I/R relationships or are they at opposite ends? I can't wait to see 'Something New' this weekend.

Simon Baker: There's obviously thematic parallels, race and relationships, both films deal with it in completely different styles. I think my character in Something New is somewhat more a fish out of water, that is emotionally available to the individual that he's in love with. The issue of race is secondary.

_______________________

Falls Church, Va.: Hey Simon- have you ever dated outside of your race before?

Simon Baker: I've been married for 12 years, my memory only goes back five.

_______________________

Washington, D.C.: Hello! What do you think guys will think of this film? I know my girlfriend wants me to take her tonight!

Simon Baker: The journey that my character goes through in this film is a reflection of what every guy has to go through when first dating anymore. Every guy will identify with the scrutiny in which you come under by friends and family of your partner, your girlfriend partner. There's a wealth of humor in the fact that I'm a Caucasian and the acceptance of Kenya's (Sanaa Lathan) male friends is, from a male perspective, very entertaining.

In short, I think a lot of guys will identify.

_______________________

Burbank, Calif.: I am wondering how you broke into acting. With your talent, I would presume you were fortunate from the very beginning. Yet, have you always been able to concentrate just on acting, or did you have a period where you needed to work a job in another field? What was your break that allowed you to be a full-time actor?

Simon Baker: I have been very fortunate, from the start of my career. I've worked reasonably consistently and sometimes out of necessity to support my family. I started on a television show in Australia in '92 and have had some lean times but touch wood, I've always managed to pull through.

_______________________

Tulsa, Okla.: I can't wait to see "Something New" -- I've been waiting for something new from Mr. Baker since "The Guardian" went off the air with no resolution. Do you know what the writers would have done about Nick and Lulu? How about their baby?

Simon Baker: Thank you for being a committed fan and I appreciate that you enjoyed the show so much but unfortunately the last episode you saw was, in fact, the last script that I saw. As for the writers, it was the last one they wrote. I don't dare to even wonder where it would've gone but I can tell you I went home and hugged my wife and kids.

_______________________

Bethesda, Md.: Any fear that this movie would be viewed as a black movie and not a movie that happens to have a majority of black actors? And how hot is ms lathan in person?

Simon Baker: I had not even considered that it was a "black" movie. A love story that happens to focus on the head-heart struggle of an African American woman and a damn fine one at that.

_______________________

Fairfax, Va.: As a handsome, articulate "leading man" type, you obviously must get your fair share of offers. What do you look for in acting roles that help you make your decision? I thought you totally nailed your character in Ride With The Devil, by the way. I'd like to see more of these morally complex type of characters.

Simon Baker: I look for an emotional connection to the character and from a technical point of view I'm excited about playing a variety of different characters in different types of films. I'm always questioning whether the character is accessible to the audience and if I can find the truth in who that person is. I would like the opportunity to play more "morally complex types of characters" you mention. It's what I love.

_______________________

Chicago, Ill.: Being on the set everyday surrounded by beautiful, talented and sophisticated black women, did you learn 'anything new'?

Simon Baker: Yeah. I hate to sound like I'm stereotyping but I learned that the black women that I was hanging out with were a whole lot of fun. Big hearts and lots of love.

_______________________

Philadelphia, Pa.: 42.4% of African American women don't marry? So, how does Kenya McQueen attract a hunk like Bryan Kelly out of all that competition?

Simon Baker: First of all, you flatter me. The meeting was a happy accident. I think Byran felt there was something within Kenya that wasn't realized and he felt the urge to want to help her blossom into a happy fullness. At the time that they met they complemented each other with their emotional states.

_______________________

Washington, D.C.: Hi Simon -- congratulations! The reviews have been great for your film! I can't wait to see it!

What is your next project?

Simon Baker: The next film I have coming out is "The Devil Wears Prada," a story about a young girl's baptism into the fashion magazine world, starring Meryl Streep, Ann Hathaway, Stanley Tucci. I think it comes out in June.

_______________________

Simon Baker: I want to thank everyone for their interest in the film, "Something New," and I feel very proud that this film is being embraced by you all.